REGISTRATION INFORMATION: 2019 STEAM SCHOOL
1. Participants should provide their own appropriate work clothing and personal safety equipment. Personal safety equipment includes long pants, long sleeve shirts (natural fibers are preferred), closed toe shoes, flashlight, and gloves. Due to potential hazard with rotating machinery, rings, necklaces, wrist watches, wrists bands or loose fitting clothing should NOT be worn. Long hair should be worn tight.
2. The engineroom is not a high noise environment, however some individuals choose to use personnel hearing protection.
3. Meals to be provided are:|
Continental breakfast (2) (Saturday and Sunday)
Buffet lunch (2) (Saturday, and Sunday)
Welcome aboard pizza party on Friday.
Dinner Saturday is ashore and is not included.
We are unable to accommodate special dietary needs.
4. Text: US Maritime Service Training Manual-Engineering Branch, Babcock &Wilcox boiler operating manual (copies will be provided electronically in advance).
5. Included in the course is a one year membership in Project Liberty Ship, which requires agreement to the governing rules of the organization. Membership benefits include varied volunteer opportunities such as being part of the crew when underway and repair/restoration projects when the ship is pierside. Completion of the steam school does not in itself qualify the student for any specific position/assignment on board the SS John W. Brown.
6. The steam school is NOT associated with any USCG licensing, or credentialing, or any other licensing/regulating authority. Additional training is available to Project Liberty Ship members which is accepted by the U.S. Coast Guard for mariner credentials. Assistance and guidance is available to members to assist the individual mariner in obtaining USCG credentials. Project Liberty Ship crew members are encouraged to obtain, but are not required to have USCG credentials.
7. The SS John W. Brown is certified to operate by the United States Coast Guard. As such, it is required to have a security plan. All participants must provide a photo-ID upon boarding. A safety briefing including a summary of security requirements will be provided to each student at the introductory session.
8. Minimum age for participants is 21
9. The SS John W. Brown is a non-smoking, drug free environment.
10. On-board accommodations are included (may be double occupancy) for two nights (Friday and Saturday night), linens provided. Ship is not air-conditioned. Toilet facilities are shared and down the hall.
11. During all steaming events, licensed personnel will be on watch. Participants will operate all machinery under the direction and supervision of the instructors and the licensed engineering watch.
12. The ship is not ADA complaint and cannot accommodate individuals who cannot safely climb the steep onboard ladders (stairs).
13. In the event that the minimum class size is not reached or due to unforeseen operational issues, the class will be cancelled and all money refunded.
If you need to Cancel
100% Refund -if you cancel by April 19, 2019
90% Refund after April 19, if we can fill your reservation
60% Refund if we cannot fill your reservation